Fika treats do not need to be complicated, but it is nice if they are homemade. This particular cake is the essence of simplicity, perfect for a busy day when you know you will need a little pick-me-up at 4:00 or so (this is everyday for me). You can whip this cake batter together by hand in to time at all, no mixer required. A little less than an hour later, you will be rewarded with a dense, moist almond-flavored cake that needs nothing more than a sprinkling of powdered sugar and a strong cup of coffee to go with it.Print
Swedish Almond Cake
A deliciously moist almond cake. Perfect for afternoon fika!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45-55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 12–15 slices 1x
- Category: Cake, Fika
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Scandinavian, Nordic
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pure almond extract
2/3 cup whole milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cake pan generously with baking spray such as Pam with flour. This is important! The cake is likely to stick to the pan otherwise. Place prepared pan on a cookie sheet.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-size bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, almond extract and milk. Add flour mixture and whisk until mixed well. Add butter and mix until fully combined.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place cookie sheet with pan on top into the oven. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until edges are golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
5. Let cake rest in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving tray. Let rest another 5 minutes before removing the pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Keywords: almond cake, Swedish, cake, fika, Nordic, Scandinavian