1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour the cake pan or spray with nonstick baking spray. Place prepared pan on a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, almond extract and milk. Add flour mixture and whisk until mixed well. Add butter and mix until fully combined.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place cookie sheet with pan on top into the oven. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
5. Let cake rest in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving tray. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired and serve.
It is extremely important to thoroughly grease and flour the pan or use a nonstick baking spray. This cake is likely to stick to the pan otherwise, especially if the surface of the pan is not nonstick.