This versatile sauce is an excellent one to have in your kitchen repertoire. Easy and packed with garlic and herb flavor, it goes nicely with all manner of vegetables, as a sauce for your lunchtime smørrebrød, or stirred into cooked lentils or chickpeas. You can play around with the types of tender herbs you use here. I chose dill and chives for spring, but come summer I might use basil, Italian parsley or cilantro. Or a combination of all three!
Herbed Skyr Sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced with a little salt and mashed to a paste using the side of your knife
- 1 cup plain whole milk skyr Icelandic yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped dill
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Season with salt to taste. Cover and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use, preferably at least an hour or so to allow the flavors to marry.
- The sauce can be stored for up to three days refrigerated.