This is one tasty vegetarian smørrebrød...hearty rye bread topped with spicy arugula, crispy root vegetable cakes and a dollop of herby, garlicky skyr sauce. A perfect open sandwich to get you through these waning days of winter with Nordic style.
The Beet and Celery Root Cakes themselves come together in no time at all (especially if you have a food processor that can grate the vegetables for you). Cumin and coriander bring a subtle warm spice to the cakes, and beaten eggs and a bit of flour help bind everything together.
The cakes cook quickly, only about 8 minutes total, which is just enough time for the thinly shredded vegetables to become tender and crisp. A generous dollop of Herbed Skyr Sauce on top provides a tangy, creamy foil to the crispy cakes.
The Beet and Celery Root Cakes are best enjoyed immediately for maximum crispiness, but if you have extras left over, reheat them in the oven and make another sandwich a day or two later. They won't be quite as crispy but still delicious.
Please give this Beet and Celery Root Cake Smørrebrød a try and let me know what you think in the comments below! Looking for more smørrebrød ideas? I've got plenty here on the blog:
- New Potato Smørrebrød with Garlic Aioli and Crispy Shallots
- Italian Salad and Ham Smørrebrød
- Balsamic-Glazed Mushroom Smørrebrød with Garlicky White Bean Puree (vegan)
- Easy Garden Tomato Smørrebrød
- Chickpea Salad Smørrebrød
- Caramelized Leek and Snap Pea Salad Smørrebrød
- Smoked Salmon and Fennel Salad Smørrebrød
- Roasted Salmon Smørrebrød with Creamy Mustard Dill Sauce and Pickled Beets
- Roast Beef Smørrebrød with Danish Remoulade and Crispy Shallots
- Roasted Butternut Squash Smørrebrød with Spicy Harissa Mayo and Pepitas
Beet and Celery Root Cake Smørrebrød with Herbed Skyr Sauce
For the Smørrebrød:
- 6 thin slices dense rye bread such as Danish rugbrød
- Butter for spreading preferably salted
- A few handfuls of baby arugula or other small lettuces
- Beet and Celery Root Cakes recipe follows
- Herbed Skyr Sauce for serving
- Dill or chives for garnish
For the Beet and Celery Root Cakes:
- 8 ounces beets about 1 large, trimmed, scrubbed and peeled
- 8 ounces celery root about half of one large celery root, scrubbed and peeled
- ½ onion
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sea salt flakes such as Maldon, for sprinkling
- 6 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Make the Beet and Celery Root Cakes: Using the large holes on a box grater or the grater function of your food processor, grate beets, celery root and onion.
- Crack eggs into a large bowl and beat lightly. Add grated vegetables, flour, cumin, coriander, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir to combine.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add ¼ cup of mixture to the pan at a time, pressing down slightly with the back of the measuring cup to flatten into ½-¾ inch thick cakes. You should be able to fit 6 cakes in the skillet at a time. Cook until golden brown, crisp and cooked through, about 8 minutes total, flipping cakes occasionally. Lower the heat as necessary if the cakes are browning too quickly.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
- Wipe out skillet and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Repeat the process with the remaining mixture.
- Assemble the Smørrebrød: Transfer bread slices to a work surface. Spread with butter.
- Place a small handful of arugula on each slice of bread.
- Top arugula with 2 cakes per sandwich.
- Artfully dollop a spoonful of Herbed Skyr Sauce on top.
- Garnish with dill or chives, if desired. Serve.
Leave a Reply