This Blueberry Creme Fraiche Tart with Rye is one of the most elegant and easy desserts I’ve made in a long time. The crust simply pats right in to the pan (no rolling required!) and the filling has only 5 ingredients. Simply pour it in the crust, scatter blueberries over the top and bake. Done, delicious and stunning!
This tart is based on a Finnish Blueberry Sour Cream Pie recipe from Beatrice Ojakangas’s The Great Scandinavian Baking Book. Summer in the Nordic countries is berry season, and this simple tart with its fresh blueberries and creamy filling is a great way to put them to good use without going to too much trouble.
While this tart is traditionally made with a Finnish fermented milk product called viili, creme fraiche makes an excellent and readily available substitute.
Tips and Tricks for a Pat-in-the-Pan Crust
This rye crust comes together much like a cookie dough: cream butter and sugar until the mixture is fluffy and light in color. Add an egg and some dry ingredients until the dough just comes together. Super simple!
I have just a few tips to help make the process of patting the crust into the pan a little easier:
- Start in the middle and work your way out to the edges. It also helps speed things along if you use the palm of your hand to begin with and not just your fingers.
- If the dough is sticking to your hands as you press it in the pan, dampen your fingers a little to help keep the dough from sticking. You can also place the whole tart-in-progress in the refrigerator for 15 or 20 minutes. This will help it firm up so it will be easier to work with.
- Be patient! It will take a few minutes to press the dough into an even layer on the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan.
Fresh Blueberries vs. Frozen
While I often recommend using frozen blueberries in my recipes, this one really benefits from fresh blueberries. They are a little easier to work with and don’t bleed into the filling as much as the frozen berries do. You could certainly use frozen berries here, but the look of the final tart will be a little different.
When you slide this stunning blueberry tart out of the oven, the crust will be golden brown, the filling just set on the outside and lusciously creamy on the inside, and the blueberries plump and juicy. Let it cool to room temperature and get busy brewing a pot of coffee.
I really hope you give this simple and delicious Blueberry Creme Fraiche Tart with Rye a try before summer draws to close in just a few short weeks! I’m quite sure it will earn a spot in your summertime baking rotation.Print
Blueberry Creme Fraiche Tart with Rye
A deliciously simple Finnish tart filled with fresh blueberries and an easy creme fraiche filling. An elegant and effortless late summer dessert or afternoon fika treat!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes + cooling time
- Yield: 1 10-inch tart
- Category: bake, dessert, fika
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Finnish, Nordic, Scandinavian
- Diet: Vegetarian
For the Crust:
¼ teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ cup rye flour
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
For the Filling:
1 cup creme fraiche
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch of fine salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
Special Equipment Needed:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Whisk salt, baking powder, all purpose flour and rye flour together in a medium bowl. Set aside. Place butter and sugar in the work bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until fully combined. Add dry ingredients on low and mix until the dough just comes together.
Transfer dough to a 10 inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the dough into the pan and up the sides in an even layer. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the filling.
Combine creme fraiche, egg, sugar, salt and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk until fully combined. Pour filling into the crust and scatter blueberries over the top. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is set, about 22-25 minutes. Cool to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: Finnish, blueberry, tart, creme fraiche, rye, summer, Scandinavian, Nordic