This yogurt parfait recipe makes a beautiful and simple breakfast….layers of creamy yogurt, crunchy granola and saucy roasted strawberries topped with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of honey. It's a healthy, easy and downright gorgeous way to start the day!
The good news is that all of the components are make ahead so you can just quickly layer everything together and enjoy!
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe is all about the coming together of opposites....cool and creamy yogurt, crisp homemade granola and sweet and saucy roasted strawberries. This combination hits all the right texture and flavor notes and makes a healthy, satisfying breakfast.
- I've used my Homemade Cardamom Granola with Almonds here, but any granola will do, even store bought!
- Roasted strawberries are wonderful in this recipe (and they are super easy to make) but you could easily substitute sliced strawberries tossed in sugar or even strawberry jam if you want to keep things really simple. See below for more variation ideas!
- Please use whatever yogurt you enjoy here: Greek, Icelandic skyr (my favorite), regular, plant-based, plain, vanilla, strawberry.....it's all good!
- Honey is a nice sweetener here, but you could also use maple syrup or even agave nectar instead.
Special Equipment Needed
Glass containers are nice so you can see the beautiful layering of the parfaits. I use stemless wine glasses for mine.
How to Make This Recipe
Begin by spooning a layer of yogurt on the bottom of a serving glass. Next, Add a layer of roasted strawberries followed by a layer of granola. Repeat the layers one more time, if desired, and then finish with a final dollop of yogurt, sliced fresh strawberries and a drizzle of honey.
- Give the yogurt a vigorous stir before you begin layering to fluff it up a bit. This makes for a prettier parfait.
I like to make the granola and the roasted strawberries ahead of time and then layer everything just before serving. This helps keeps the granola crunchy. You could go ahead and assemble the parfaits a few hours or even the night before. Cover and refrigerate them until you are ready to serve. The granola will soften slightly the longer it sits (but it will still be delicious)!
Thanks to a blend of wholesome oats, almonds and pumpkin seeds, granola is high in fiber, healthy fats and protein. Yogurt is packed with nutrients including protein, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc and vitamin B-12. It also contains probiotics which help with digestion. Together these two nutritional powerhouses are a great way to begin the day and to keep you feeling full and satisfied until lunchtime.
You could use any fresh fruit or homemade fruit compote. A high quality store-bought jam or preserve would also work well. See below for a more comprehensive list.
What other fruits can I use in a granola and yogurt parfait?
You have SO many options here. You could choose another cooked fruit filling such as:
- Quick and Easy Peach Compote
- Blueberry Cardamom Compote
- Apple Compote
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- Easy Spiced Pear Compote
AND/OR consider using fresh berries, peaches, apples, mangoes or pears, sliced bananas, chopped chocolate, coconut flakes or shredded coconut and/or chopped nuts. You are only limited by your imagination here!
Looking for more quick and easy breakfast Scandi-inspired recipes? Give these a try:
- Easy Cardamom French Toast
- Vanilla Overnight Oats with Cinnamon
- Creamy Barley Breakfast Porridge
- Rye and Oat Muesli with Dried Cherries and Hazelnuts
- Simple Oatmeal with Brown Sugar and Cream
- 2 cups yogurt of your choice (Greek Icelandic Skyr, vanilla, fruit flavored, plant-based….anything goes!
- 2 cups Homemade Cardamom Granola with Almonds or storebought granola
- 1 ½ cups Sweet and Simple Roasted Strawberries or another fruit compote or just fresh fruit
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries or other berry or fresh fruit of your choice
- Honey for drizzling
- Begin by spooning a layer of yogurt on the bottom of a serving glass. Next, Add a layer of roasted strawberries followed by a layer of granola. Repeat the layers one more time, if desired, and then finish with a final dollop of yogurt, sliced fresh strawberries and a drizzle of honey.
If you loved this recipe, give it a star review! Also, snap a picture of your Homemade Granola and Yogurt Parfaits and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #truenorthkitchen and tagging me @true_north_kitchen.
Leave a Reply