I've got a few ideas for how you might put these Soft Whole Wheat Rye Flatbreads with Scallions to good use. Let's start by topping them with a spiced skyr sauce, sautéed kale and roasted butternut squash and red onions. Add a sprinkle of roasted pumpkin seeds for crunch and you've quick and delicious light meal in no time at all. You can either fold the whole situation in half and eat it like a wrap or a taco, or maybe you would rather eat it smørrebrød style with a knife and fork. Either way works.
Don't feel like baking your own flatbreads? No problem! Store bought naan works really well here. Or pita bread. Or toasted sourdough. You could even substitute a simple tortilla for the flatbread. Feel free to get creative. The combination is wonderful no matter what's underneath.
- Bread, preferably Soft Whole Wheat Rye Flatbread with Scallions. As I mentioned above, this sandwich would be tasty with anything underneath so feel free to get creative!
- Spiced skyr sauce. SO ridiculously simple and delicious. Mix skyr (or greek yogurt) with a little cumin, Aleppo pepper and salt. Done.
- Sautéed kale with garlic. Strips of kale and chopped garlic are sautéed in olive oil with a little salt until tender. I like my kale crisp tender so I don't cook it too long, but if you would like yours softer, feel free to add a splash of water to the skillet to help the cooking process along.
- Roasted butternut squash and red onions (or opt for just butternut squash if you would rather). The sweet squash is a perfect pair for the sautéed kale.
- Toasted pepitas. For crunch. Pepitas toast nicely in the oven or in a dry skillet. Just keep an eye on them so they don't get too dark.
There isn't much of a method here....simply roasting the squash and onions and cooking the kale and garlic in olive oil until it's tender. My only recommendation is, as always, to remember to season everything with salt and pepper to taste. The final result will be so much tastier!
Whether you've baked a batch of flatbreads or not, I hope you give this hearty sandwich combination a try! It makes a lovely lunch or light supper for the autumn months.Print
Whole Wheat Rye Flatbreads with Roasted Squash, Kale and Spiced Skyr
Hearty flatbreads topped with a creamy spiced skyr sauce, sautéed kale and roasted butternut squash. The perfect fall wrap sandwich!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches
- Category: lunch
- Method: cook
- Cuisine: Nordic, Scandinavian
- Diet: Vegetarian
For the Sandwiches:
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
1 small red onion, cut into ¼ inch slices (optional)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
½ bunch kale, stems removed and cut into ribbons (about 4-5 cups)
2 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
2 Soft Whole Wheat Rye Flatbreads or purchased naan
Spiced Skyr, recipe follows
½ cup roasted pepitas
For the Spiced Skyr:
½ cup full-fat skyr or greek yogurt
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
⅛ teaspoon ground Aleppo pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place squash cubes and onions (if using) on a baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and golden brown, about 25-35 minutes.
Make the Spiced Skyr: Combine skyr, cumin and Aleppo pepper in a small bowl. Season with salt. Set aside.
Meanwhile, add remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sliced garlic to a nonstick skillet and heat over medium. Once garlic begins to sizzle, add kale and seaon with salt and pepper. Cook until kale is bright green and tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add a splash of water if kale is drying out and you would like it to cook some more.
Warm the flatbreads by placing them in the oven (either on a baking sheet or directly on the rack is fine) for a couple of minutes (if they are frozen, they can go straight from the freezer to the oven and be warm in just 3-4 minutes). Spread half of the yogurt mixture over one of the flatbreads. Top with kale and roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with pepitas. Serve. (You will have enough leftover roasted vegetables for another round of sandwiches).
Adapted from Sift magazine, Fall 2016
Keywords: Butternut squash, red onion, kale, flatbread, wrap, fall