This easy shredded carrot salad comes together in just 20 minutes and is as delicious as it is lovely. Crunchy, sweet carrots are tossed in a lemony vinaigrette and finished with a shower of chopped fresh dill. So simple and tasty!
This vibrant and nutritious salad is one you will want to return to again and again.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's easy to prepare. Simply shred your carrots, chop your dill and whisk your vinaigrette. Toss together and enjoy!
- The ingredients are readily available. Many of us always have carrots and a lemon in the fridge. Stop at the store for fresh dill and you are ready to go!
- You can make it in any season of the year. Carrots are a grocery store staple, and GOOD carrots can be found at any time of the year. I love this salad in the winter when other vegetables are scarce (or really expensive), but it can really be enjoyed in any season.
What Makes This Recipe Nordic/Scandinavian?
Carrots are a hardy root vegetable that grow well in the Nordic region, and fresh dill is a staple of Scandinavian cuisine.
Carrots are the star of the show in this recipe, and the mustard, lemon, honey and olive oil form a flavorful vinaigrette that compliments the carrots perfectly. That final shower of fresh dill finishes everything off with Nordic flair!
Special Equipment Needed
How to Make This Recipe
- Begin by shredding a pound of carrots. You can do this using the large holes on a box grater, a julienne peeler or a food processor fitted with the shredding disc. Transfer the shredded carrots to a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the honey, mustard, minced shallot and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Whisk in dill and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the shredded carrots and toss together until the carrots are evenly coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or cover and transfer to the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
- When making the vinaigrette, add the olive oil in a slow and steady stream while whisking constantly. This will help the vinaigrette form an emulsion and keep it from separating.
- While a box grater and your food processor will do the job of shredding carrots just fine, a julienne peeler makes the prettiest shredded carrots (that's what I used to get the shredded carrots you see above). It's a small investment to make for a really lovely salad.
It goes with just about anything! You could also add chickpeas to it if you wanted include a little protein and turn it into a meal in and of itself. It also makes a nice crunchy addition to sandwiches (see below).
Store the salad tightly covered in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days. It will be crunchiest on day 1 as the carrots will soften slightly in the refrigerator over time. But it will still be delicious!
Save some of your carrot salad for this Nordic open face sandwich featuring Boursin cheese, avocado and cucumber. It's not to be missed!
Looking for more fresh Nordic-inspired salad recipes? Give one of these blog favorites a try:
Nordic Carrot Salad with Lemon and Dill
- 1 small shallot minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound carrots peeled and shredded
- Whisk shallot, mustard, lemon juice and honey together in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Whisk in dill and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the carrots in the vinaigrette and season again with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or cover and transfer to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
If you loved this recipe, give it a star review! Also, snap a picture of your Nordic Carrot Salad with Lemon and Dill and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #truenorthkitchen and tagging me @true_north_kitchen.