These Spiced Salmon Skewers with Lemon have earned a well-deserved spot as a family summertime favorite since they first appeared in Bon Appetit magazine back in 2013. They come together in only 20 minutes and are on the table in 30 making them a perfect quick weeknight meal. And yet they are elegant enough for company! Yes, these salmon skewers do it all.
I haven't changed much from the original recipe other than doubling the amount of spice rub (this seems to be a common theme for me) as I love the flavor it brings to the salmon and the way it intermingles with the lemon. The combination of sesame seeds, fresh oregano, cumin and red pepper flakes might seem unusual but trust me....it works.
I've really got just one tip for Spiced Salmon Skewer success: CLEAN AND OIL THE GRILL GRATES GENEROUSLY BEFORE YOU PUT THE SKEWERS ON. Salmon has a tendency to stick and we don't want that. Right before the skewers go on, I scrape the hot grill well with a wire grilling brush and use a pair of long tongs to rub a canola oil-soaked paper towel over the grill grates several times. This will help keep the salmon skewers from sticking.
I usually keep my sides simple: maybe some whole wheat couscous or quinoa tossed with olive oil and fresh herbs from the garden. This simple barley salad would also be a nice choice. Grilled zucchini or asparagus rounds everything out nicely and is just another thing to through on the grill next to the salmon. Easy!
Please give these Spiced Salmon Skewers with Lemon a try before grilling season ends. You won't be disappointed and maybe you'll just find a new summertime favorite to look forward to every year. Looking for more salmon ideas? I've got a few here on the blog for you:
- Easy Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon with Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Simple Roasted Salmon with Cucumber-Radish Relish
- Roasted Salmon Salad with Capers and Parsley
- Roasted Salmon with Butter and Brown Sugar
- Roasted Salmon Smørrebrød with Creamy Mustard Dill Sauce and Pickled Beets
Spiced Salmon Skewers with Lemon
- 2 pounds salmon skinned and cut into 1 ¼ inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-3 lemons sliced thin
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Canola or vegetable oil for oiling the grill
- 4 six inch bamboo skewers soaked for at least an hour in water
- Heat grill to medium-high. Combine oregano, sesame seeds, cumin and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Thread salmon cubes and lemon slices (folded in half) onto skewers, alternating as you go and starting and ending with salmon.
- Brush or rub salmon skewers with olive oil and sprinkle oregano mixture evenly over both sides. Season with coarse salt.
- Generously oil the grill and reduce heat to medium. Grill skewers until salmon is just opaque throughout, about 3 minutes per side. Serve.