I'm always trying to find new and interesting ways to use pickled beets. Most of the time they are served as a compliment to something else, playing a supporting role on the plate. But why not make them the star of the show now and then? This dish is the pickled beet's opportunity to shine, its moment in the spotlight. And you would never know from the complex and delicious nature of this salad that it is incredibly simple to make. If you have a batch of Spicy Pickled Beets in the refrigerator, it comes together in a matter of minutes and makes a sophisticated Nordic side dish for grilled meats and legumes, lentils in particular. The genius here is taking the already acidic pickled beets and simply drizzling them with a good quality extra-virgin olive oil. They don't need a vinaigrette....the tangy, vinegary taste is built right in. The olive oil mellows them out and a shower of lemon zest, capers and Italian parley leaves brings a welcome freshness and contrast to the sweet zing of the beets. And that's it! Couldn't be simpler.
Pickled Beet Salad
- 2 cups Spicy Pickled Beets
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon capers drained and rinsed
- A handful of Italian parsley leaves removed from their stems
- Arrange pickled beet slices on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle lemon zest, capers and parsley leaves over the top. Serve.