Most of the time, pickled beets are served as a compliment to something else, playing a supporting role on the plate. But why not make them the star of the show now and then? This Pickled Beet Salad is the pickled beet's opportunity to shine, its moment in the spotlight. And you would never know from the complex and delicious nature of this salad that it is incredibly simple to prepare.
If you have a batch of Spicy Quick Pickled Beets in the refrigerator, it comes together in a matter of minutes and makes a sophisticated Nordic side dish for grilled meats and legumes, lentils in particular.
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe works because we are taking the already acidic pickled beets and simply drizzling them with a good quality extra-virgin olive oil. They don't need a vinaigrette....the tangy, vinegary taste is built right in.
- I make this salad with a batch of my Spicy Quick Pickled Beets, but any recipe for canned pickled beets, quick pickled beets or even store-bought pickled beets will work in this recipe.
- A drizzle of good quality extra-virgin olive oil mellows out the briny beets.
- A shower of lemon zest, capers and Italian parsley brings welcome freshness and contrast to the sweet zing of the beets.
How to Make This Recipe
- Transfer the pickled beets to a platter with a fork or slotted spoon, leaving most of the brine behind in the jar.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Shower with whole Italian parsley leaves, lemon zest and capers.
It doesn't get much easier than that!
This Pickled Beet Salad is a natural compliment to Danish Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Lentil Salad. I ALWAYS serve them together!
Yes! Any pickled beet will work with this recipe.
Since it comes together so quickly, I usually make this salad right before I plan to serve it. But you could definitely make it a few hours ahead of time if you like. Simply cover the salad with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
Any leftovers of this Pickled Beet Salad can be covered tightly and stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
Looking for more ways to put those pickled beets to good use? Give these recipes from the blog a try!
Pickled Beet Salad
- 2 cups Spicy Quick Pickled Beets
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon capers drained and rinsed
- A handful of Italian parsley leaves removed from their stems
- Arrange pickled beet slices on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle lemon zest, capers and parsley leaves over the top. Serve.
If you loved this recipe, give it a star review! Also, snap a picture of your Pickled Beet Salad and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #truenorthkitchen and tagging me @true_north_kitchen.