Well isn't this open sandwich just a stunner! I love all my smørrebrød equally, I really do. But this Beet Hummus Smørrebrød is a real looker, as they say. Vibrantly pink roasted beet hummus topped with creamy, green avocado and (more pink!) pickled onions...this sandwich is easy on the eyes.
Oh, and it's delicious and nutritious, too. If you've never had roasted beet hummus before, you are in for a treat. A little bit earthly and sweet (thanks to the beets) and a pleasantly garlicky (thanks to a bit of garlic roasted with the beets), this hummus is always a favorite, and not just because of its stunning color. Top that with slices of creamy avocado and piquant pickled onions and you've got an easy and wholesome vegan lunch with serious Scandi appeal.
If you aren't particularly attached to the fact that this sandwich is vegan, you could always top it with a fried or poached egg. Extra deliciousness, I promise.
You could also switch out the rugbrød for a more readily available bread, such as toasted sourdough or toasted multi-grain or whole-wheat (definitely TOASTED for added sturdiness). But extra Scandi points to you if you use a dense Danish rye bread. Rugbrød can be hard, if not impossible, to find in a bakery. Lucky for you I've got a super easy and doable recipe for rugbrød right here on the site. You're welcome.
Think of this as your sexy New Nordic alternative to just plain old avocado toast. Please give it a try! You'll be the coolest kid at the lunch table. And don't forget to leave me a comment below if you do! I'd love to hear what you think. In love with the Nordic open sandwich and need more smørrebrød ideas? Absolutely! I've got you:
- Roast Beef Smørrebrød with Remoulade and Crispy Shallots
- Italian Salad and Ham Smørrebrød
- Balsamic-Glazed Mushroom Smørrebrød with Garlicky White Bean Puree (vegan)
- Easy Garden Tomato Smørrebrød
- Chickpea Salad Smørrebrød
- Caramelized Leek and Snap Pea Salad Smørrebrød
- Smoked Salmon and Fennel Salad Smørrebrød
- Roasted Salmon Smørrebrød with Creamy Mustard Dill Sauce and Pickled Beets
- Beet and Celery Root Cake Smørrebrød with Herbed Skyr Sauce
- Roasted Butternut Squash Smørrebrød with Spicy Harissa Mayo and Pepitas
Roasted Beet Hummus Smørrebrød with Avocado and Pickled Onions
For the Smørrebrød:
- 4 slices dense rye bread such as Easy Overnight Danish Rye (Rugbød)
- 1 cup Roasted Beet Hummus
- 1-2 avocados sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Quick Pickled Onions recipe follows
- Sprouts or microgreens for serving optional
For the Quick Pickled Onions:
- 1 red onion sliced thin
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon chile pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Make the Quick Pickled Onions. Place the sliced red onion in a medium bowl or quart-size Mason jar. Heat remaining ingredients over medium until mixture just comes to a boil. Pour over onions. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. (Quick Pickled Onions keep in the fridge for up to a week).
- Assemble the Smørrebrød. Transfer sliced bread to a clean work surface. Spread the surface of each slice of bread with a generous layer of Roasted Beet Hummus. Top with sliced avocado and a drizzle of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with Quick Pickled Onions and sprouts or microgreens, if desired. Serve.
Leave a Reply