Hot dogs are the street food of choice in Copenhagen. They are served with a variety of condiments, but this particular combination is a true classic...a creamy curried remoulade sauce, fresh pickled cucumbers and crispy fried onions. It might sound a bit odd, but all of these condiments are quite common in Danish cuisine and are absolutely delicious together. The curry remoulade in particular is absolutely life-changing (dip your fries into it and tell me I'm wrong). This creamy, crispy, cucumber-y trio of toppings breathes new Nordic life into the humdrum hot dog with its standard ketchup and mustard toppings that we are all so very familiar with.
The homemade Fresh Pickled Cucumbers and Crispy Fried Shallots are delicious here and well worth making, but you can easily substitute dill pickle slices and crispy onions from the store in a pinch.
Hot dogs were a cornerstone of my diet growing up in the 1980s, but have become something of an indulgence as I've gotten older. I might enjoy one at a baseball game or the state fair, but that's about it. While I am all for making nutritious choices when it comes to food, I am also a big believer in balance. And I'm quite sure there is room in a healthy diet for indulgences now and then. So the next time you are hankering for a hot dog, DO IT RIGHT. Mix up this tasty trio of condiments, fire up the grill and do things the Danish way. Your tastebuds will thank you.
Danish Hot Dogs
For the Danish Remoulade Sauce:
- ½ cup prepared mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons skyr Icelandic yogurt, Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 heaping teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Pickled Cucumbers or store-bought dill pickles finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Make the Danish Remoulade: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until fully combined
- Heat grill. Grill hot dogs over medium heat until heated through and nicely browned, about 7-10 minutes
- Place one hot dog inside of each bun. Spoon Danish Remoulade over the length of the hot dog, followed by pickled cucumbers and a sprinkle of crispy shallots. Serve immediately.