Looking for a Scandinavian-inspired alternative to whipped cream? Give this 4 ingredient Whipped Vanilla Skyr Cream a try! Made with Icelandic yogurt (skyr), heavy whipping cream and sugar, this deliciously silky topping is perfect with fresh berries, waffles, Swedish Pancakes, Swedish Apple Cake....pretty much anywhere you might use traditional whipped cream.
This creamy, slightly tangy and oh so luxurious topping might just become your new favorite way to finish off all of the sweet things in your life!
Why This Recipe Works
The simple combination of Icelandic yogurt (skyr), cream and sugar creates a silky, not-to-sweet topping that is out of this world.
Just four simple ingredients here! If you can't find skyr, feel free to substitute Greek yogurt, preferable full-fat.
How To Make This Recipe
- Combine the skyr or yogurt and the cream in the work bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whip the two ingredients together at medium speed for 2 minutes or so.
- Stop the mixer and add the vanilla and sugar. Whip on high speed until light and fluffy, like a loose whipped cream, about 3-4 more minutes.
Use full-fat skyr or Greek yogurt. The final result will be creamier and more luxurious.
Full-fat Greek yogurt is the perfect substitution.
You can, but it will take longer (and considerable arm power) to achieve a light and fluffy consistency.
You can store this topping covered in the refrigerator for a couple of days. It will lose a little volume but still be delicious!
Skyr (pronounced skeer) is a dairy product that has been an important part of Icelandic food culture for over a thousand years. Here in the United States, it is often marketed as the Nordic answer to Greek yogurt. In Iceland, however, skyr as technically considered a fresh cheese, something like quark, because of the addition of rennet in the recipe. Most commercial brands no longer use rennet to make skyr, just particular strains of probiotics that are unique to the product, and different from those used to make yogurt. Skyr is also strained, much like Greek yogurt is, which helps give it a thick, creamy texture and high protein content. It takes 4 cups of milk to make 1 cup of skyr.
I hope you give this delicious Whipped Vanilla Skyr Cream a try! It's a great alternative to basic whipped cream (with a Scandinavian twist)! Looking for recipes to go with a dollop of this luscious cream? Any of these would make a wonderful companion:
Whipped Vanilla Skyr Cream
- 1 cup plain full-fat skyr or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine skyr and heavy cream in the work bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whisk on medium speed for one minute. Add vanilla and sugar. Continue whipping on medium high until mixture is light and fluffy, like a loose whipped cream, about 3-4 more minutes. Serve.
If you loved this recipe, give it a star review! Also, snap a picture of whatever you've topped with your Whipped Vanilla Skyr Cream and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #truenorthkitchen and tagging me @true_north_kitchen.